Washington State Indivisible Coalition
I’d like to introduce you to the Washington State Indivisible Coalition! This Coalition is a non -partisan, statewide organization of, and for, all Washington State based Indivisible groups that wish to participate. (WaSICTeam@gmail.com) The immediate goal of WaSICTeam is organizing the first-ever Washington State Indivisible Lobby Day on Feb 15, 2019, in Olympia. Our long term goals include developing this group as the Coalition of WA State Indivisible organizations to provide support to all chapters, and to advance our common goals in a variety of ways, at the state and federal levels.
We are stronger when we work together. We are heard better when we speak together with one voice.
Democracy is messy and we are defining our work and doing our work at the same time. It’s something Olympia Indivisible has a lot of practice with but takes on new meaning while trying to do it statewide. Here’s a quick overview of the Coalition.
WaSICTeam is operating on three primary platforms:
- Private Lobby Day Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaSICTeam - this is where information will be shared with anyone who wants to participate in the Lobby Day, wants to learn more about lobbying and/or other ways to engage our Legislators and share information about legislation or how things are moving in Olympia;
- Slack - this is the main communication platform for the Lobby Day teams and the steering committee of the Coalition; and
- Google Docs.
WaSIC Lobby Day will consist of:
- A briefing on the active bills falling within WaSICs priorities, and other bills that may emerge as urgent to Indivisible members;
- An overview of what to expect during the Legislator visits: mantra - be brief & leave a 1-page summary;
- Talking points to share with our Legislators and an informational document to leave with them;
- Meeting with our legislators and/or staff depending on availability;
- Debrief to share what we’ve learned.
Goals of the Lobby Day:
- Show up and make a state-wide impression as Indivisibles;
- Visit our Legislators and share our positions and expectations;
- Get to meet other Indivisible members, share ideas, etc.
To create a successful Lobby Day, these are the immediate teams needed:
- Logistics Team - contacting legislators to set up appointments, making sure every LD has someone visiting them, on the ground planning for those traveling...
- Legislative Research and Analysis Team - determine which bills are dropping/proposed, researching them, developing a fact sheet, sharing it out
- Outreach Team - Align with other organizations/coalitions that are doing this work like Our Revolution, Veterans for Peace, Everytown for Gun Safety, Planned Parenthood, etc.
Additional teams are under consideration/construction to later allow us to pursue our long term goals and support Indivisible chapters/members with research on legislation and information resources for everything else Indivisible does.
If you would like to learn more, please go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaSICTeam and ask to join!
Additional information is available so please send any questions you have to WaSICTeam@gmail.com.